badge

Pages

I am not twenty four- A book review

When I first started reading the novel, I was negative already. It started in a way how chetan bhagat starts his novels. Where the author describes how he listens to the story of the character he met and then narrates it. But still, I started reading the novel, where the central character Saumya describes her story to the author.

Saumya is a girl born and brought up in Delhi. She cannot live without her morning coffee and is a girl who would not step out of the house without her favorite pumps. After her completion of MBA, she gets ecstatic when she gets selected to work at the prestigious Lala steel. But surprises start when she gets to know that she actually has to go to a steel plant in karnataka called torangallu.

It all starts going bad when her name is mistaken as a guy's name. Reaching torangullu, she starts hating her job straight away. A girl who has grown with skirts and boys going owl eyed on her, gets thrown into a place which she least expected. Things then change for the better with her hampi trip, where she meets Shubrudeep Shyamchaudhary(Shubru for short). Shubru is a weed addict and with his travels all around the world is an interesting character in the story. She gets drunk with him, gets fascinated by his stories and likes him from the first day itself, but after that first night they don’t meet again

.

Saumya returns back. She gets to know about her job that she is a member of action team in Lala Steel, and things start to go horribly wrong. She is not only emotionally taxed, but a physical wreck too.

One after the other, things start to happen, where she reaches a point when she decides she cant do her job anymore, when along comes back shubru in her life.

He is what every girl dreams. Hot, intriguing and extremely good looking, but still with his discreet aura, he has something special within him and when saumya gets to know that, she is both surprised and awed.

If I have to start, I’d start by saying. When I had finished the novel, I was satisfied. To say the truth, it has been a long time since I have been satisfied by a novel. There were constant surprises going on and as the book says this is one of the stories, where you won’t feel as it’s yours but will still empathize with the character.

Saumya story from the start holds you with utmost interest. Starting with her first move to torangullu from Delhi, where she is thrown into a job she dislikes. She learns how life can be a complete contrast from city to a village.

The characters in the novel are laid out at its best. There are times when you will close the book for a moment and sit back thinking what the hell is happening. For me that is the key to decide whether a book is good or not. It should provide with moments where you feel a shock so strong that makes you close the book, close your eyes and you’re just stunned by its narration.

I must say, I started reading the book in a negative aspect, but as I read along it dint take me 10 pages to turn into a positive state of mind. The book holds your interest throughout and gives you many memorable moments which will stay long with you even after the book has been finished.

Besides the central character, I loved shubru's too. What starts out as almost just another boy toy soon becomes such an integral part of the whole story.

I think in the modern Indian author era where every story is just about some IIT or IIM guy finding true love, I must say this book by sachin garg is one hell of a firecracker.

The story is strong and there are characters for which you would care for. I give it 4 out of 5 stars and I have to say, I was thoroughly impressed by the story and the novel itself. Sachin garg has instantly become my favorite with this one.

I wanna thank blog adda.com for sending me this book. Really guys if it wasn't for you I would have never have found such a talented storyteller. Sincerely, thank you.

This review is a part of the Book Reviews Program at BlogAdda.com. Participate now to get free books!

4 comments:

Saru Singhal said...

You wrote so beautifully, I was wondering it is a review or a story in itself.

I wish I could get hold of this book...

sulagna said...

i know i am gonna sound very girly.....but i love the pumps she is wearing in the pic :)

and oyee tu kisi official website pe book review likha kar...u r that good

RiĆ  said...

That sounds interesting...will try to lay my hands on to this book.

Thousif Raza said...

@ saru: Thank you for the appreciation :) i am glad u liked it :)

@ sulagna: thank u di... :) u made me smile :D

@ Ria: hey welcome :) and get it... it worth a read :) tc